The Origin Of Birthstones
Birthstones are gems associated with the month that a person was born. To start off, here's the list of each birthstone by month.
- January Birthstone: Garnet
- February Birthstone: Amethyst
- March Birthstone: Aquamarine
- April Birthstone: Diamond
- May Birthstone: Emerald
- June Birthstone: Pearl or Alexandrite
- July Birthstone: Ruby
- August Birthstone: Peridot
- September Birthstone: Sapphire
- October Birthstone: Tourmaline or Opal
- November Birthstone: Topaz or Citrine
- December Birthstone: Tanzanite, Zircon or Turquoise
Birthstones appear to have a biblical source, tracing back to the book of Exodus in the Bible and specifically on the breastplate of Aaron. The breastplate was inlaid with 12 gemstones that each represented the twelve tribes of Israel at the time. This specific breastplate was adorned with the following gems: emerald, sapphire, diamond, topaz, carbuncle, sardius, agate, ligure, amethyst, onyx, jasper, and beryl.